26 Jan 10 Tips for Maintaining the Brain
10 Tips for Maintaining the Brain:
- Eat Right What’s good for the heart is good for the brain “A heart-healthy diet promotes blood flow to the brain; include plenty of dark-skinned fruits and vegetables for protective antioxidants.”
- Exercise No avoiding it “Minimum 30 minutes a day, with a mix of cardio and strength training.”
- Challenge Your Brain “The best brain exercises teach you something new and are a mental stretch.”
- Stay Social “Isolation and inactivity can lead to depression, which contributes to certain dementias.”
- Reduce Stress “Chronic stress releases a cascade of hormones that eventually affects memory.”
- Sleep, Sleep, Sleep “Sleep deprivation disrupts the coordinated activity of an important brain network.”
- Be Present Stop multi-tasking “Interruptions interfere with short and long-term memory formation and older brains have a harder time quickly switching between tasks, hence the senior moment.”
- Embrace Your Spirituality “This is different for everyone, but itâ€™s basically your values and how you connect with the world. Whether youâ€™re doing good works or taking time for prayer or meditation, attending to your spiritual side creates well-being and reduces stress.”
- Maintain Your Purpose “We all need a reason to get up in the morning. Feeling that your life has meaning and that you’re in control fosters positive attitudes and emotions.”
- Evaluate and Adjust “Don’t get stuck in a rut, just as with physical exercise, mental work-outs have to be adjusted periodically to remain effective and interesting.
About Belmont Village Senior Living
Founded in Houston in 1997, Belmont Village is an integrated developer, owner, and operator of high-quality seniors housing with more than 4000 employees. Its communities are renowned for distinctive design, high standards of life safety, reputation for quality of care and leading edge, award-winning programs. Belmont Village is certified as a Great Place to Work® and has been ranked as one of FORTUNE Magazine’s 50 Best Workplaces for Aging Services since 2018. Learn more about Belmont Village at www.belmontvillage.com and on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.